Hi, I’m Pippa Jay, author of scifi and the supernatural with a romantic soul.
1. A Knight’s Tale. Not only is this set in a parallel time period/civilisation as the opening of Keir and I once used the image of Sir Ulric as part of my cover art description for the kind of clothing my hero would be wearing, but I felt Keir’s life might not have been unlike Thatcher’s given the chance. The same quiet but fierce sense of chivalry, of right and wrong, of the unfairness of life based solely on the circumstances of birth and station are all qualities Thatcher and Keir both share. But Keir lacks Thatcher’s ambition, already certain that he somehow deserves all the condemnation and hatred he faces each day, cursed by the colour of his skin.
2. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. All three original SW films have been inspirational - I switched from writing fantasy to scifi for a start due to a crush on Luke Skywalker - but the angst in TESB is what makes it stand out most from the three. There’s also the blossoming romance between Han and Leia. But mostly it’s Luke, and the torment he goes through in this story, right up to the point of learning that the second most evil entity in the galaxy is actually daddy. Some people might well have given into the anger and turned to the Dark Side. Not Luke. He was prepared to die for his beliefs rather than turn. And throughout the trilogy, despite all the terrible things that happened to him, not once did he use it as an excuse to lash out at the universe and take revenge. That pure heart and loyalty are the two qualities I loved most and that inspired Keir.
3. Enemy Mine. An old film, and one where humanity is in an all out war with a reptilian species called the Dracs. I loved this film because of the way it portrayed the alien species, with its own peculiarities and culture well drawn out, but also the fact that really both humans and Dracs had to take the blame for the ongoing battle. It wasn’t all good humans versus bad aliens. The film went on to show that there were good and bad people on both sides, and that really both races just needed to sort out their differences a bit better and try to get along. It made me determined to portray my reptilian race in Keir as being equally diverse in their personalities, beliefs, politics etc as any race would be.
4. The Dark Crystal. In my mind, this is a seriously underrated film. The complexity of the world building in this, coupled with the sheer amount of work involved to bring it to life using puppets and ‘old-fashioned’ set building rather than modern CGI are what make this such an inspiring film. Even though the cast are even less real than say human actors, you believe in their struggle, in their hopes and fears, in their fight to restore balance and harmony despite personal losses.
5. Jack and Sarah. In this one, it’s all about the romance. I don’t generally go for contemporary romances or chick flicks, but I adored the love after adversity film - how despite the almost devastating grief and tragedy the hero goes through, we get a happy ending. It’s a story about hope and overcoming social barriers, and I loved the character growth throughout. And this from a girl who prefers speculative fiction!
A demon waiting to die...
An outcast reviled for his discolored skin and rumors of black magic, Keirlan de Corizi sees no hope for redemption. Imprisoned beneath the palace that was once his home, the legendary ‘Blue Demon of Adalucien’ waits for death to finally free him of his curse. But salvation comes in an unexpected guise.
A woman determined to save him.
Able to cross space and time with a wave of her hand, Tarquin Secker has spent eternity on a hopeless quest. Drawn by a compulsion she can’t explain, she risks her apparent immortality to save Keir, and offers him sanctuary on her home-world, Lyagnius. But Quin has secrets of her own.
When Keir mistakenly unleashes the dormant alien powers within him and earns exile from Lyagnius, Quin chooses to stand by him. Can he master his newfound abilities in time to save Quin from the darkness that seeks to possess her?
Book One of the Redemption series and part of the Travellers Universe. A science fiction romance novel previously released by Lyrical Press Inc. 7th May 2012, Keir is a Readers Favorite Contest Awards Finalist 2012, HOD RWA Aspen Gold finalist (3rd place), The Kindle Book Review’s 2013 Best Indie Book Awards semi-finalist, and a 2012 SFR Galaxy Award Best May to December Romance winner.
Want to know the minute Keir releases? Sign up to my no-spam newsletter or click Follow on my Amazon author page.
After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and the supernatural. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment playing guitar very badly, punishing herself with freestyle street dance, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 21 years and three little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.
Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade and Broad Universe, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include YA and adult stories crossing a multitude of subgenres from scifi to the paranormal, often with romance, and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology--Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a double SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), the EPIC eBook awards, and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).
You can stalk her at her website, or at her blog, but without doubt her favorite place to hang around and chat is on Twitter as @pippajaygreen.
Website – http://www.pippajay.co.uk
Amazon - http://mybook.to/keir
All Romance eBooks - https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-keir-1795669-343.html
Kobo - https://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/keir-1
iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id991372221
B&N - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/keir-pippa-jay/1110110646?ean=2940152166064
Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/540539
Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Pippa_Jay_Keir?id=V4_zCAAAQBAJ&hl=en
Scribd - https://www.scribd.com/book/263793386/Keir-Redemption-1
PRE-ORDER FOR ONLY $0.99